Tuesday, March 28, 2017

I love, I hate, I miss my sister.

For my literature circle book I am reading "I Love, I Hate, I Miss My Sister" written by Amélie Sarn. From what I have read so far, the book is the story of two muslim sisters, Djelila and Sohane. Shortly into reading you learn that the story is being told by Sohane and that Djelila is actually dead so the book is flashback stories and Sohane talking to Djelila as if she were still alive. The main focus in this story is religion and the social struggles muslim women face. The two sisters are completely opposite, one following the muslim values and beliefs and the other following the modern day free spirit personality. They are very different and the main thing that is noticeably different between the two of them is that Sohane wears a head scarf and Djelila exposes her skin a lot more. This begins to cause problems for the girls in school, at home, and in the community. So far I like the story and am interested in reading the rest. It is cool learning about some of the different views muslim people have and the different struggles the women have to face. The only thing I don't enjoy about the book so far is that its a little bit hard to follow sometimes. The writing tends to jump from the past to the present a lot and the wording sometimes confuses me. For example, one sentence Djelila is alive sitting next to Sohane, the next sentence Sohane is taking about when Djelila was killed and how she wishes she had her sister back so its a little bit jumpy in that way. Other than that, I'm curious as to where this story is going and what the purpose of this book is. 



1 comment:

  1. Amanda- good points about all of the problems both of the sisters face.It seems that neither could win.

    ReplyDelete