Towards the end
of the novel Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, Eleanor decides to run away
from her family and go back to her uncle’s house. There has been so many things
that have led up to make her want to do this and I’m so happy that she finally
did. So many kids in America face struggles of having a poor life at home and
usually there’s not many choices the child has to better themselves in the
situation. In Eleanor’s case she really had no options and she has a lot of
siblings so it made it harder as well. I think that Eleanor leaving was the
right choice but I also feel bad because of her other siblings left behind. I
did some research and according to the National
Runaway Safeline between 1.6-2.8 million children runaway each year in the United States.
That is a crazy amount and way more common than I thought. There are so many
different reasons children run away from home. I think that young children
usually have no plan on where they’re going or what they are going to do when
they run away but that they just think anything and anywhere is better than
being in a poor situation at home. Eleanor seemed to have a good plan of going
to her uncle’s house and then if her uncle said to go home she knew she could
go to Parks. I find it sad that children don’t realize that there are other
ways to get help and that there are other people they can talk to if their
parents aren’t really there to help them or if their parents are the cause of
them wanting to run away. There are school counselors and teachers or other
family members that are willing to help in most situations. If you know someone
is struggling with something at home you should always try to help them and
talk to them to.

I was also glad Eleanor got the opportunity to leave her family and go live with her uncle. I Eleanor's case I think it was best she looked out for her own self interest vs worrying about her siblings.
ReplyDelete