Thursday, March 30, 2017

I Love, I Hate, I Miss My Sister- Part 2

The ending of this book was nothing like I expected it to be and Im not really sure how I feel about it. I feel as if there was no story line and that it was all just scattered memories leading up to Sohane finally accepting the fact that her sister is dead. There was a lot of things I didn't like about the book. I think that it is awful how Sohane was rejected from coming back to classes at school and thrown out of the town meeting just because she was wearing the headscarf even though the meeting was made in honor of HER sister. I think it is also awful how Djelila was murdered only because she didn't want to wear the headscarf. It just goes to show how the saying "nothing is ever good enough" is so true. No matter what these two girls did, they both were being told they were wrong by different people. I think that neither one of the girls were in the wrong and that Sohane being banned from everything is just unfair. If  I were Sohane I would have done the same thing, be the bigger person and remove myself from those situations, even though it would suck. Women choose to wear the head scarf for many different reasons and none of them are bad or have anything to do with others. There shouldn't be a problem with people choosing how they express themselves. The head scarf is just part of the muslim culture just like how every other culture has certain little traditions, symbols, and meanings that they want to express. I looked up the French law on the banning of head scarfs as mentioned in the book and read a little about it, learning that it's a $250 fee for wearing one in public. That is crazy, think about how you would feel if someone was banning you from things and charging you money just for wanting to be yourself and wear a piece of clothing that has meaning to you. It should be the person underneath that matters, not the scarf itself.



http://arabsinamerica.unc.edu/identity/veiling/hijab/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28106900

2 comments:

  1. I like how you said, "No matter what these two girls did, they both were being told they were wrong by different people."

    Its true but so sad that this is sometimes the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's right wing identity politics. The muslims that killed delijah did so because of their perceived identities and the people who kicked the girl out of the group did the same thing as well.

    People get too wrapped up in identities to the point where they think everyone should dress and act just like them and if they don't, they're the enemy. It's ridiculous logic

    ReplyDelete